Menu Change!! Barbeque Steak & Potato Wraps with Hatch Green Chiles

We're changing up the menu this week!  (If you were looking forward to Asian Noodles with Chicken, I promise we'll do it soon!)  Also, please read to the end for some important info!

Tuesday, September 21st:
Make Your Own Steak and Potato Wraps
Homemade Barbeque Sauce (so excellent!)
Grilled Hatch Chiles
Grilled Asparagus
Chile con Queso dip with chips
Vegetarian Option:  Grilled Portobello Mushrooms in place of Steak

I have to say that I am very, very excited about this dinner.  I had a transcendental moment in the grocery store yesterday when I saw they had Hatch Green Chiles, and I realized that we had to change the whole menu.  If you're wondering about the excitement, here's the deal.  Hatch Green Chiles are grown in New Mexico, and they are so tasty, but they have a short season.  In Texas (and elsewhere, but I grew up in Texas, so that's what I know), whenever they are in season, restaurants do special menus around Hatch Chiles.  They are spicy, but not too spicy, and flavorful in just about everything.  So friends, we here at dinners on the porch didn't want you going through life without your own little Hatch Chile Festival - it just wouldn't be right!  Check out this website to see how much fun the actual festival is!

But then I thought, I guess people will want to eat more than chiles for dinner, so what would be tasty?  And then, like divine providence, one of Matt's co-workers who also has a farm showed up with a bushel (40 lbs) of potatoes for us, and I knew what we were going to be cooking:  Steak & Mashed Potato Wraps!

When Matt and I lived in D.C. in the 90's, there was a place near the school we taught at called WrapWorks, and they took the burrito idea to a new level.  They had all sorts of interesting wraps, but Matt's favorite was the steak and potato wrap.  (I of course would order a salad wrap and then eat half of his!)  This is my version, and we think it's even better, especially because everyone can load up his or her wrap with exactly what they want - it's fun to see what combinations everyone comes up with!  I can guarantee that this will be a whole-family happy meal!

Your dinner will come with flour tortillas, and then you get to be creative.  Fill it with marinated, grilled flank steak (or mushrooms if you don't want meat), the best mashed potatoes in the world (according to my dad, whose recipe it is), homemade barbeque sauce - very tangy and delicious, roasted Hatch chiles, grilled asparagus (which we're actually serving as a side, but we don't mind if you throw some in the wrap), smoked cheese, and anything else you can think of!  I love a little hot sauce (of course) and fresh spinach in there, and the kids always like a little ranch dressing on just about everything.  Of course, you can also serve steak and potatoes un-wrapped, if certain people in your family are not big "mixers" (I have one child who loves cheese and macaroni, but not macaroni and cheese).  On the side, you'll also have a little tasty chili con queso to enjoy while you warm everything up - it tastes best with a cold beer!

For dessert, get ready for a decadent (but mini) little treat - Triple Chocolate Frosted Brownie Bites!  Individual chocolate brownies filled with chocolate chunks and glazed with a homemade chocolate ganache that will knock your socks off.  Plus, fancy decorations to make them look as good as they taste.  Also, they're small, so that means I don't think they have any calories.  I'm pretty sure that's right.  These are inspired by these little goodies - I can't wait to try them! ($5)  No nuts, in case you're wondering!

As always, please get your orders to me by Saturday morning - you can email your specifics to dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com.  Please include your name, address (if you're a first-time orderer), whether you want dessert, vegetarian option, extra portion, etc.  Your meal will be delivered to your front door on Tuesday afternoon between 3:45 and 5:15, and you do not need to be home to receive it - just leave a cooler out with a little ice to keep it cool until you get home.  Then all you have to do is sit down and enjoy a relaxing, delicious dinner ... perhaps on the porch.

Thanks so much!


A Few Other Things:

1.  Allergy Issues:  Last week when we had shrimp, someone who ordered let me know that they were very allergic to shrimp, which I appreciated since I love you and I don't want anything to happen to you! I will always let you know if there are nuts or nut products in anything, and if we don't mention it, you can be assured that there will not be nuts used in cooking any of the food.  However, if you have a severe allergy to a less common food, like eggs or fish or a certain type of oil or whatever, please let me know!

2.  Last week someone said that she was starting "Try-It Tuesdays" at her house, and I thought that was such a great idea that I'm stealing it.  I'd love to hear your feedback on whether your kids will try something they've never had before on Try-It Tuesday!

3.  BONUS:  Leave a comment in the comment section below this post and you'll be entered into a drawing for free dessert!

4.  Emails:  Thanks so much for all the emails and feedback you send every week - it's so helpful and sweet!  Please don't be offended if I don't reply right away since I'm probably busy doing all the things I put off while I'm cooking!