September 7th! Cha Cha Chipotle Shredded Pork Tostadas!

Dinners on the Porch is back!  I am so excited to start cooking for you again, and I've been experimenting with some new recipes and some old favorites, so I think you're going to like these dinners.

Here's what we're offering this week, and then read on to see the menus for the rest of the month!

Tuesday, September 7th:
Cha Cha Chipotle Shredded Pork Tostadas
Smashed Borracho Beans
Corn and Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese
Chips & Guacamole
Vegetarian Option:  Grilled Veggies in place of pork)
Dessert:  Homemade Oreos!!

Now, I know all y'all North Carolinians are shaking your heads to think of shredded pork with anything but Carolina barbeque sauce all over it, but I'm telling you, you're going to be happy with this stuff.  I promise to keep it pretty mild, so you won't be hosing your kids' mouths down after dinner, but the flavor is great - you'll be eating it before it gets to the plates!  Speaking of plates, this is a great dinner to let everyone make up his or her own plate just the way he or she likes it.  If you've never had a tostada (or seen a Taco Bell ad), it's basically a big, flat crispy corn tortilla that you spread with beans and then add meat, etc.  You'll just serve all the components and let each family member stack his or her tostada as high as they'd like with beans, shredded pork, salsa, guacamole, cheese, and anything else you can think of!  You may prefer lots of jalapenos, while your kids go in for meat and cheese only - whatever, the point is that everybody's happy.  You'll get all of the sides listed above, but you can add family favorites like black olives, hot sauce, chili con queso, lettuce, cheese or onions.

And don't forget dessert:  Homemade Oreos!  Whether it's Double Stuff or Original, you know they're your favorite chocolate sandwich cookies.  This homemade version will have you twisting, licking and dunking along with the kids, so make sure to have a cold glass of milk handy.  Six big cookies for $5.


And here's what you can look forward to for the rest of the month!

Tuesday, September 14th:
Farmers' Market Israeli Couscous with Shrimp and Chicken Sausage
Fresh Gazpacho
Pita chips
Vegetarian Option:  tofu in place of shrimp & sausage

Tuesday, September 21st:
Vietnamese Chicken & Vermicelli noodles
Sesame Sugar Snap Peas
Steamed Dumplings
Vegetarian Option:  No chicken, extra veggies

Tuesday, September 28th:
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Southwestern Salad
Chips & salsa
Vegetarian Option:  I'm working on it!

Tuesday, October 5th:
There's a Chili in the Air White Turkey & Bean Chili
Rice, chips & shredded cheese
Vegetarian Option:  No turkey

Please don't forget that you are always welcome to order an extra main portion to eat or give to a friend, or plan ahead and stock up your freezer for those busy nights when you are reaching for the phone to dial Domino's!

Also, Chili con Queso is available anytime - $5 per order!  It's great with just about anything, and believe me, I've tried.  Just let me know in your order and I'll add it in.

In a great development, dinners on the porch is "outsourcing" dessert!  I have a friend who is a great baker and offered to fill in where I fall short in the kitchen (and I know my family for one will be so happy to finally have some home cooked baked goods around the house!).  I will list her offerings on the weekly menu and I will deliver it along with your meal, as before, but I assure you it will be much better that what I would be making!

Finally, our "promo" of the month is Buy 4, Get the 5th Free!  If you let me know that you want to order every Tuesday this month, your October 5th dinner will be free!

Thanks for checking us out & I hope you stay out of the kitchen and on the porch!