On the First Day of Christmas ...

We're bringing you a little steak for dinner!  I am so tired of poultry after Thanksgiving and I've been craving a little flank steak salad.  I don't know if you have those kinds of cravings, but once it gets in my head, it's hard for me to think about anything else.  Plus, the last time we grilled flank steak we perfected the marinade and grilling technique - it was so tender and flavorful, and I think it's going to be very tasty on this hearty Italian salad!

Tuesday, December 7th:
Antipasti with French Bread toast
Grilled Flank Steak over greens
with chickpea salad, grilled zucchini, eggplant and roasted red peppers
Homemade Blue Cheese Vinaigarette
Vegetarian Option:  Grilled Portabella Mushrooms over greens
Kids' Option:  Twice-Baked Potatoes with cheese & butter (serve with the steak) ($5)
Dessert:  Ruby Jewel Thumbprint Cookies (half raspberry jam, half nutella) ($5)

Yum!  You'll start with a little snack of olives, maybe a little salami, cheese, possibly some bruschetta, who knows?  When I'm going to eat salad for dinner - which is my favorite thing to do - I like to start with a little something tasty like this to offset what might otherwise be too healthy of a dinner!

The salad will be up to you to create - all of the components will be ready to throw together, eat separately, make into a sandwich - whatever you want to do!  I love to throw as much as possible onto a bed of lettuce, but you may be more of a purist.  Whatever you do, you'll have plenty of healthy, thinly sliced and grilled veggies, some great steak, and a very tasty chickpea and bean salad that we enjoyed over Thanksgiving up in New Hampshire that I think will be a great compliment to the flavors of this salad.  Vegetarians, you know we treat you right with the mushrooms - they are so hearty and flavorful!

If your kids aren't big salad eaters - and not so many of them are, let's be honest - you can still let them make their own dinner with the veggies, the steak, a little antipasti and bread.  If they are big eaters, you can add the kids' option - we just had these twice-baked potatoes for dinner, and they were a big hit.  As a bonus, we got all of our kids to at least try eating the potato skin (so full of vitamins) by pretending they were sharks eating up boats at sea.  I know, it smacks of desperation, but I'm keeping it real here.

Finally, my favorite part of the meal - the Ruby Jewel Thumbprint Cookies - so named because they are sugar cookies filled with raspberry jam.  I talked to baker into doing half of them filled with Nutella, because I couldn't think of a reason not to have chocolate too!

Email your order to dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com by Saturday morning, and please include your specific order, your address if you are new, and any special requests.  Dinner will be delivered Tuesday between 3:30 - 5:15, and you do not have to be home to receive it.  You can also pick up from our house (near downtown) if you are outside the delivery area.

Thanks y'all, and I hope you're hungry this week!

Claire