You Might Give Some Serious Thought to Thanking Your Lucky Stars You're in Texas

Tuesday, April 12th:

Baked Potatoes & Barbeque Pork 
Potato Sides - Homemade Barbeque Sauce, Sour Cream, Cheese & Green Onions
Hoppin' Veggie Saute (yellow squash, zucchini, corn, black-eyed peas, cheese & onion)
Spinach Salad with Homemade Chipotle Ranch Dressing
Vegetarian Option:  Grilled Mushrooms, Peppers & Onions
Homemade Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread ($5)
Kids' Option:  Barbeque Chicken Drumsticks & Fingerling Potatoes ($5)
Get You Through the Week:  Italian Polenta Casserole with Organic Beef, Sausage & Eggplant ($20) (Veggie version with additional veggies)
Dessert:  Suzanne's Mini Chocolate or Lemon Tarts ($5 each)

Well y'all, our trip to San Diego was awesome & I ate about a million breakfast burritos out there, doing "research" for DOTP - I will be making my own version for you really soon!  But, a very, very tragic thing happened on the way back to Winston-Salem, and it has inspired the menu for this week.  If you have a minute, I'll tell you the whole story.  Like many things, it all starts in Texas ...

As you may know, Texans have a certain amount of state pride over many things that we think make the state of Texas the best in the country.  A front-runner in terms of things we're proud of would be barbeque, and I'm here to tell you it's pretty damn good.  Y'all here in NC have great pulled pork - no lie, but Texas barbeque is all about smoked meat and ketchup-based sauce.  It chokes me up a little just to think about it.  Anyway, I was lucky enough to grow up less than a mile away from the best barbeque joint in Houston, hands down - The Goode Company.  I could go on and on about how much I love it, and how many of my memories revolve around that restaurant, but I'll just explain what happened on the way home from San Diego and that might help you understand.  So, when I was buying our plane tickets for the trip, I purposefully chose a route that would have us fly though Houston on the way home with a layover that I calculated would give us enough time to meet up with my parents in the airport.  In keeping with tradition, they would arrive laden with food from the Goode Company for us, and we would hug, kiss, and then dig in to a hasty but satisfying dinner of ribs, smoked sausage, brisket and, my favorite, stuffed baked potatoes.  We had each put in our orders with my mom and were talking about how good it would be - just the thought of it was helping me get over the end of vacation blues.  But it was not to be.  Through a series of unfortunate events (mostly because we did not pay attention to the location of our rental car company and drove around the San Diego airport for an hour before finding it to return the car), we missed our flight and had to take a later one, leaving us with no time for our barbeque rendezvous.  Heartbreak & self-pity followed the phone call we made to cancel the order.

After a few days, however, an idea popped into my head that made me feel a little better.  While I absolutely cannot make barbeque anywhere close to as good as they do at the Goode Company, even bad barbeque is pretty good, so I decided to put something together for y'all that would remind me of one of my favorite meals, and then if you're even in Houston, you can stop by for yourself and enjoy a little bit of the real stuff.  And then you'll see why their motto is "You Might Give Some Serious Thought to Thanking Your Lucky Stars You're in Texas."

Your meal will come with four large baked potatoes all ready to be stuffed full of goodness and smothered in barbeque sauce.  If you want extra potatoes, just ask and I'll be happy to add some!

It's hard to find a vegetable on the menu of a barbeque joint that isn't fried or disguised by a thick layer of mayo, but we're stepping it up a little.  The Hoppin' Veggie Saute is a little variation on Hoppin' John - we're departing from the original by adding seasonal veggies for a heartier, healthier dish.  You can even make this into your potato topping if you're feeling like a lighter dinner.  And you know you would never find a fresh spinach salad on a real Texas barbeque menu, so don't tell anyone what I'm doing, but  I like a salad with almost every meal, so I had to throw it in!  Sop up all of that barbeque sauce with some hot & spicy cornbread and you'll all be members of the clean plate club!

Our Italian Polenta Get You Through the Week Meal this week is elegant and yet a crowd pleaser.  Hearty organic ground beef and tomato sauce are familiar enough to entice even your littlest family members into loving the polenta dish!

This week we have a very exciting dessert being prepared by our guest baker, Suzanne Campbell!  Caroline is out of town and we're so lucky that Suzanne was willing to bring her baking talents our way with her Chocolate and Lemon Tarts!  Creamy chocolate or lemon filling inside of a handmade crust will be the perfect ending to this dinner!  One order will satisfy your family, but order one of each and have a few left over for lunch the next day.

That's it, y'all - I hope we'll be seeing you on the porch!

Claire

Misc Stuff:

  • Please place your order before 8 am Saturday morning so we can make sure to have enough for everyone!
  • I will send an email if we are close to cutting off orders on Friday.
  • If you order, you will receive a confirmation email on Monday evening reminding you to place your cooler out for us on Tuesday.  If you order and do not receive a confirmation, please contact me by email first thing Tuesday morning!
  • If you have questions, you may be able to find the answer on the Order 411 page, but email me at dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com if you're still stumped.
  • If you are redeeming a gift certificate, just let us know in your order email.
  • Please indicate in your order email if you plan to pick up your dinner from Sociale Gourmet on Tuesday (if you live outside of the delivery area or if it's just easier for you)
  • There's probably more, but that's all I can think of!