Tamale Pie in the Sky


Every now and then, a meal comes along that just sweeps me off of my feet.  It’s so rare to find that food trifecta:  tasty, wholesome, and something everyone in my family will eat.  When the stars align and it happens, I just have to kick back with a cold beer and watch my family eat while I remind myself that, like Halley’s Comet, I may not witness it again in my lifetime.  And thus I give you, Tamale Pie in the Sky.

Tuesday, October 4th:
Tamale Pie in the Sky with organic beef
Southwestern Green Salad
Chips, Salsa & Sour Cream
Vegetarian Option:  Veggie Tamale Pie
Kids’ Meal:  Cheese Quesadilla & raw veggies ($6)
Dessert:  Cookies & Cream Cake Truffles ($6)
Extra Frozen Tamale Pie ($22)
Get You Through the Week:  Farmer’s Market Israeli Couscous with Chicken or Veggie ($22)

Tamale Pie in the Sky is a layered casserole of corn tamale mixture, organic beef, beans & veggies, then cheese & more tamale mixture.  The whole thing is baked and then enjoyed immensely by adults and children alike.  It can be spiced up with salsa and hot sauce, cooled down with sour cream, and texturized by crunching up chips on top, so we’re including all of those to get you started.  You might want to add extras from your own fridge, like black olives, green onions, jalapenos – the sky’s the limit!  This week I added on an Extra Tamale Pie option because I feel like this is a great item to stock up on – it freezes really well, will feed a crowd, and is very handy to have around if you need to take a meal to someone at the last minute. 

Because this is such a hearty dinner, we’re keeping the sides simple and healthy.  A fresh green Southwestern Salad with veggies, cheese and homemade dressing will balance out the menu, and even if your kids think they are allergic to salad, they can munch on the veggies or just eat the cheese.  If all else fails, I am a big believer in the power of positive peer pressure – if your kids see you eating salad and vegetables every day, I would almost guarantee you that one day your kids will ask for some. 

If you’re still not sure if your kids will go for a one-dish dinner (believe me, I have been there!), the Quesadilla & Veggies kids’ meal is super-simple and would also make a great school lunch on Wednesday.  We’ll pack it up for you so that if you don’t end up serving it for dinner, you can just shove it in the lunchbox the next morning!

Okay, enough about dinner already.  These Cookies & Cream Cake Truffles are redonkulous.  I almost could not eat a whole one when Eva brought them for me to sample (but I pushed through it), because they are so rich and chocolate-y.  I don’t even want to know what is in them, because I choose to believe that ignorance cancels out calories.  Anyway, you are going to have to hide these away and only give them out to people who are especially nice to you!

Finally, this week’s Get You Through the Week meal is a little unconventional, in that it’s a fresh item – Farmer’s Market Israeli Couscous.  This is one of our most-requested DOTP meals, and we think it’s excellent for lunch or dinner!  It’s made with Israeli couscous (the larger, pearl couscous with a slightly toasty flavor), tons of fresh veggies, feta cheese, and healthy chicken sausage.  All of the ingredients are tossed in our homemade Basil Balsamic Dressing, and we’ll add a bag of fresh organic spinach and some extra dressing so that you can make a great salad dinner if you like.   It’s a perfect dish to take to work for lunch and enjoy cold, or heat it up and serve it with bread for a light, healthy dinner!

That's what we've got for y'all this week - hope you see something you like and I hope we'll get to see you on the porch this week!

Claire & Alex

Order Info:
  • Email your order to dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com
  • Send in your order (and be specific!) before Saturday morning - we'll let you know if we're closing orders before that.
  • We will confirm your order before Monday at 8 pm, so email us if you do not receive a confirmation.
  • Have your cooler with ice out on your porch by 2 pm Tuesday - your dinner will be delivered by 5:30.
  • If you are outside of our delivery area, pick up your meal at Sociale Gourmet on Knollwood on Tuesday between 2-6 pm.
  • Pass it on!