Chicken is BBQ too!

The idea location to eat this meal would be picnic table under the shade of a big pecan tree, but your porch will be just fine!

Tuesday, January 24th:
BBQ Smoked Chicken with Homemade BBQ Sauce
Baked Potatoes
Fixins' - sour cream, cheese, green onions & Mimi's Chile con Queso
Homesick Jalapeno Buttermilk Slaw
Vegetarian Option:  BBQ Grilled Peppers & Portobello Mushrooms
Kids' Option:  Baked Chicken Tenders & Steamed Broccoli ($6)
Optional Extra:  16 oz Mimi's Chile con Queso ($7)
Dessert:  Camino Bakery Cookie Jar Mixed Bag (3 chocolate chip, 1 lemon, 1 oatmeal raisin, 1 ginger molassas) ($6)
Get You Through the Week Meal:  Spicy or Mild Fiesta Shrimp & Rice Bake ($22 or $30, large)

As I mentioned in a recent post, I did quite a bit of BBQ eating while in Texas over the holidays.  At my favorite, favorite BBQ restaurant in Houston, The Goode Company, I always get the same thing - a Stuffed Baker with Jalapeno Pork Sausage.  I load it all up with extra BBQ sauce, throw even more jalapenos on top and just dig in.  It's awesome.  Last Spring, I even wrote about how my mom was going to meet us at the airport with Goode Company BBQ when we had a 2 hour layover in Houston, but it fell through when we missed our flight.  Bitter disappointment.  Anyway, that's all BBQ sauce under the bridge now, and since we went to San Antonio, rather than Houston, this year, I had to branch out a little. At Rudy's, in San Antonio, I ate some pretty freaking awesome BBQ chicken, and it gave me the idea for this BBQ Smoked Chicken menu.

You can follow my lead and load up all of the BBQ chicken, tangy Homemade BBQ Sauce and Fixins into your potato, or you can eat it all separately and enjoy it your own way.  We're adding in a small container of Mimi's Chile con Queso, because I really think there's nothing better than queso on a potato, but if you know you'll need lots of it, order extra!

You would never find a BBQ joint in Texas without a great buttermilk slaw, so I didn't want you to miss out on that.  Our version - the Homesick Jalapeno - is a variation of a recipe created by Lisa Fain, the Homesick Texan.  I've become an avid follower her The Homesick Texan blog, so much so that I had to rush out and buy her cookbook to get ahold of this recipe as it was not featured on her blog.  We've of course modified it a little bit, but I feel confidant that you'll love it as much as I do!

For dessert, we couldn't think of anything that goes better with BBQ than good old fashioned cookies and milk, so we asked Camino Bakery to make up a Cookie Jar Mixed Bag of their favorites.  We will want to hear which kind your family liked best!

The GYTTW meal this week is so good I almost want to call it a classic, even though we've never served it before.  I made a big pan for my family, and it was pretty much gone the minute it hit the table.  Whatever leftovers there were, my husband consumed later the same night!  It's a healthy, unique casserole made with shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico, toasted rice, green olives, cheese, veggies and onions.  You can eat it on its own, as we did, wrapped up in tortillas, with a salad, hot or cold.

Finally, we're doing a give-away this week!  We'd love to know what your favorite meal has been so far, so please leave us a comment in the comment section below.  We'll be giving away a $25 gift certificate to Camino Bakery to one of you!  With Valentine's Day coming up, you'll be able to use it to buy your sweetie(s) some tasty treats!

That's all we've got this week, y'all!  I hope we'll get to see you on the porch!

  • Please order by Saturday to guarantee a spot!
  • Please be specific - specify spicy or mild, large or regular size portions, vegetarian, let me know if you need extras of anything, etc.  We'll do whatever we can to accommodate special requests.
  • If this is your first order, please include your address and contact info in case we have questions.
  • You will receive a confirmation of your order on Sunday night - if you don't, please email me on Monday in case we missed you!  You'll also receive instructions & a delivery reminder , etc on Monday night.
  • Please notify us if you have any unusual allergies that we should be aware of (we always let you know if we are using nuts, but if you have anything else, we may not know to warn you!).


Claire & Alex

For questions, check out the Order 411 page above, or email me at dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com!