Adventure Pizza


Remember the “Pigs in Space” bit on the Muppet Show?  Every now and then when I sit down with my family for dinner and it’s a total free for all of eating, I hear Miss Piggy in my head saying “Piiiiiigs in Spaaaace.”  Anyway, this is a Pigs in Space kind of dinner, because you will eat like pigs and it will take your family on a little adventure without even leaving your house.  You’ll come back changed, ready to take on the world … 

Tuesday, May 15th:
6 Mini-Pizza Flats with a million toppings!
Sauces:  Tomato Sauce, Homemade Pesto & Homemade Red Onion Compote
Cheeses:  Mozzarella, Goat Cheese & Ricotta Cheese
On Top:  Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Mixed Peppers, Fresh Tomato & Kalamata Olives
Salad Stuff:  Arugula & Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
Vegetarian Option:  Roasted Eggplant
Kids’ Option:  Extra “Kids” stuff – flatbread, tomato sauce, mozzarella & pepperoni ($6)
Super-Gourmet Option:  Fancy Toppings – Portobello mushrooms, prosciutto & marinated artichoke hearts ($10)
Low-Carb Option:  Low Carb Tortilla (to use for pizza crust, $3)
Dessert:  Two Camino Bakery Chocolate Dipped Macaroons & Three Large Chocolate Chip Cookies ($6)
GYTTW:  Chicken Mole Enchiladas or Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas Verdes ($22 reg or $30 large)

So, this whole extravagant pizza menu was inspired by my having a strong desire for salad pizza (my version is a pesto & mozzarella pizza, baked, with a tossed arugula salad right on top), but a realistic idea of what would happen at the table if I presented that to my children as dinner.  So, as in all things, a compromise was in order.  I ended up making 6 individual pizzas on flatbreads, each with a different constellation of toppings.  About half of them were topped with things I knew the kids would definitely eat – tomato sauce, cheese & pepperoni.  Then on the other half, I let loose with a wide variety of crazy things that I found in the fridge.  When I brought them all out to the table, I announced that we were having Adventure Pizza.  I gave everyone a little score card, cut the pizzas up into tiny slices, and we all had fun tasting and rating all of the pizzas.  There were some clear winners and some big losers, but overall I was surprised to see how adventurous my kids were when I turned the meal into a game.  It was fun, they tried (and liked!) new things, and now I know for sure that none of my children like hard-boiled eggs on pizza.  And nor do I. 

So, Alex and I put our heads together and came up with some great toppings – no hard boiled eggs – that we think will make for delicious and interesting pizzas.  We'll make some suggestions for combinations we think are great, but you'll probably make a pizza we've never even thought of.  You can even turn the whole thing upside down and make a pizza salad with pizza toppings mixed in to your greens.  Plus, we’ll include a scorecard so that you can keep track of the winners and losers in your house!

We are carrying on our “mixed” dinner idea this week with a great dessert combo from Camino Bakery.  Their Chocolate Dipped Macaroons are so rich & fabulous, but we know that not every person in your house may be ready for the grown-up-ness of fresh coconut cookies!  Enter Camino’s Chocolate Chip Cookies!  Mix and match or just have the dessert you like best – there’s no wrong way to enjoy dessert!

Our Get You Through the Week meal this week is always a big hit – Chicken Mole Enchiladas with a mild, delicious mole sauce.  It’s so good for family dinner, but also fancy enough to serve guests or pass along to a friend in need of dinner.  Our vegetarian enchiladas – Sweet Potato & Black Bean with verde sauce – are not just a pale substitute for the meat version, either.  They are unique, healthy and very tasty!

That's dinner this week, y'all - hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do!  Check out the Mini Grocery Store - we're making more Quinoa Salad due to it's awesomeness - I ate so much of it the last time we made it and was still sad when it was all gone.  We're so happy that the grocery store is making your life easier - keep sending us ideas for things you'd like to see!