Sunday night came fast this weekend! I should have written this up hours ago, but I got a little carried away on what I initially intended to be a "one beer" dinner (meaning that I will be able to make the whole dinner in the time it takes me to drink one beer or glass of wine, approximately 30 minutes). It would have been - canned baked beans, biscuits from one of those fun poppy things, a fresh tomato salad with our tomatoes from the Old Salem Farmer's Market, and baked chicken. Pretty simple, and a sure-fire family dinner, but then I decided I would make everyone extra-happy and fry the chicken. And then certain people wanted to help bread the chicken, and then there was flour everywhere, and then we had to try cooking it several different ways to see what worked best, and so on and so forth. Anyway, it turned out to be a little later than I thought by the time we ate and got the kitchen cleaned up, but it was pretty good.
Here's our final, least messy and most delicious version of Finn's Fried Chicken:
- Cut up 4-8 chicken breasts into strips
- Dredge strips in a mixture of flour, cornmeal, seasoned salt, black pepper & paprika
- Then dredge them in buttermilk, then back again into the flour mixture until your hands have quadrupled in size
- Put a casserole dish into a 350 degree oven with a half a stick of butter and a half a cup of oil
- Once the butter is all melted, put your chicken strips in a single layer in there, and bake for 30 minutes, turn over and bake for 30 more minutes
- Remove and drain chicken pieces on a piece of brown paper bag, just like your granny used to do
- If you have multiple batches to do, just add more butter before you add the next chicken
So there, if you're ambitious and want to make a lovely dinner for your people, that's a good place to start. Then, the next night, take it easy and pick up dinner from us!
Remember that fresh dinners do need to be pre-ordered, but any of the frozen meals will be available on Thursday, first-come, first-served. Plus, we always have more things that what I list here, this is just what I know we'll be making.
- Chicken & Shrimp Gourmet Grill - invite over some friends, open a bottle of wine, fire up the grill and enjoy a gourmet dinner on the porch! A delicious mix of marinated chicken & shrimp (ready to grill), Mexican-style fresh corn with cheese & spices to add after cooking, Spinach Salad with blue cheese, balsamic dressing and vegetables to grill & add on top for a delicious, warm salad! (feeds 4-6 adults, $60)
- Chipotle Pork Taco Night - an easy & fun way to entertain friends or just make your family very happy! Chipotle Pork (pre-cooked, ready to warm), tortillas, cheese, sour cream, corn & Black Bean Salsa with Avocado, chips & Mimi's Chile con Queso (small feeds family of 4 - $33, large feeds 4-6 adults, $50)
- Pizza Party - Make Your Own Pizza night made super-simple and very delicious! Includes mini-pizza crusts, pizza sauce, pesto, mozzarella, goat cheese, pepperoni, and lots of veggies for endless variations (small feeds family of 4 - $33, large feed family of 6 - $40)
- Make Your Own Picnic Sampler: mix and match for a great picnic meal for 2-20! $10 each quart
- Asian Noodle Salad with chicken on vegetarian
- Israeli Couscous with spicy chicken sausage or vegetarian
- Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa Salad with chicken or vegetarian
- Bahn Mi Sandwich (roasted pork, pickled veggies & Vietnamese mayo on a fresh french loaf)
- Fresh Fruit for making fruit skewers
- Large Green Salad with veggies & Jalapeno Cilantro Ranch dressing
- DOTP Favorite Tamale Pie - this awesome casserole feeds a crowd! Layers of corn tamale, seasoned ground beef, cheese & black beans is a home run with the whole family. $25
- Chicken or Veggie Enchiladas - we're keeping these on our menu all summer long because we know you love them! We'll rotate the sauces around to keep it from getting boring - look for Verde Sauce, Mole, and a great homemade Red Sauce! $25
- Egg Stratas - the best take-to-the-beach casserole ever! We love the ease of throwing one in the oven, going for an early walk on the beach, and coming back to a delicious breakfast ready to go! We'll have different varieties available each week. $25
- Goat Cheese Lasagna with Italian Sausage or Vegetarian - Such a crowd-pleaser! We love this lasagna, and so do our customers! It's a great casserole for family dinners (and you'll have leftovers!), entertaining, taking to the beach, or for passing along to a friend who needs dinner. $25
- Classic Cheeseburger Casserole - tiny hamburgers patties, cheese, pickles & a great-tasting sauce - this is a macaroni casserole that will be gone as soon as it hits the table. Kids and adults will enjoy it, and you'll enjoy the ease of a one-dish dinner that has it all! $25
- Cowboy Meatballs - one of our favorite dishes all year round - your family will love these Texas-sized meatballs bursting with cheese and served with awesome BBQ sauce. They go great with mashed potatoes, rice or just veggies! $20-$30
- Southwest - ground beef, cheese, corn & black beans
- Greek - feta, Neece's Extra Sage Sausage, olives & Greek yogurt
- Veggie - ricotta, mozzarella, mushrooms & spinach
- Kids' - pizza, PB&J
- Sweet Treats - nutella & banana, various fruit fillings
- Pockets come with a dipping sauce (except the kids & sweet ones), and are $10 for 5.
Snacks & Goodies
- Salad Dressings
- Kids' Snack Packs (great for car or plane trips!)
- Homeland Creamery Ice Cream
- Homeland Creamery Milk
- Fresh Fruit
- Breads & desserts from Camino Bakery
That's the basic menu, but we will have lots of other items and treats as we think of things we want to make (or find things in the freezer)!
As a reminder, for the summer we are switching to a Thursday schedule (so that you can get ready for weekends at the beach, company, or just regular life!), and we'll be offering mostly these same menu items each week. Our goal is to help you spend more time enjoying the summer and less time in the kitchen and the grocery store! You will need to pre-order the fresh dinners as usual, and then frozen meals and lots of other items that will be available first-come, first-served.
All of the food will be ready for pick-up at Sociale Gourmet on Thursday afternoons between 2-6 pm, but if you are unable to come during that window to pick up, just let us know and we will work it out with you. Although we will not be delivering during the summer, we want to make it as convenient as possible for you, so please feel free to let us know how we can help you!
Our tentative calendar is as follows:
Holiday July 5th (also, Happy Birthday to me on July 1st and Alex on July 4th!)
Holiday August 9th
That's all I know, y'all! Email us your order for fresh dinners to email@example.com, and then come hang out with us next Thursday! We're looking forward to seeing everybody & hearing about your summer!
Claire & Alex