I Heart Greek Dinner!

When is a meal more than just a meal?  In our house, it doesn't happen too often, but every now and then, a meal together feels more like a happy celebration of being together.  It can happen over take-outpizza, over eggs on a Saturday morning, or over a meal that I've worked hard to get on the table.  So, it's not really the food that makes it happen, but it certainly helps to serve a meal that we all enjoy so that we don't have to spend time at the table arguing about how many bites of squash someone has to eat before he can have more spaghetti or she can go change into a tutu and dance around the dining room.  So, just like you, I am always searching for these elusive "perfect" family dinners.  When one comes along, I don't like to keep it to myself.  And when I hear back from y'all that your 8 year old ate red peppers for the first time or discovered that she likes feta cheese, that makes my day!  Here is one of our family's favorite meals, and we hope it will become one of yours too.

Thursday, September 13th:
Main Meal:
Greek Porch Pockets with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce
Spinach Salad with Veggies & Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
Greek Orzo Pasta with Chicken & Veggies (includes sides of kalamata olives & feta cheese)
Vegetarian Version:  Greek Orzo with Portobello Mushrooms & Veggies
Gluten Free Option:  Greek Quinoa instead of pasta (free to substitute, or $10 for an extra quart)
Kids' Option: Orzo with Homemade Marinara & Mozzarella, and a side of fresh cut cucumbers ($6)
Dessert:  Baklava (5 pieces, $6) 
GYTTW #1:  Wild Rice Stuffed Pepper Casserole with Italian Sausage ($22 small, $30 large, vegetarian version with roasted eggplant)
GYTTW #2:  Holy Mole Chicken Enchiladas ($25 regular, $30 large, vegetarian version with rice & bean)

Ever since we debuted the Porch Pocket concept last Spring, they've been flying out the doors and onto your tables.  They make the perfect starter course, and if you don't end up eating them for dinner, they are great for snacks or even a light meal with a green salad.  The Greek Porch Pocket has sausage, greek yogurt, feta cheese, capers & seasonings.  It's so tasty served with fresh tzatziki sauce that it might go against the family-harmony dinner plan and cause fights to break out!

Growing up, my mom made a green salad with dinner every night, and the habit really stuck with me.  I love all kinds of salads, but a fresh Spinach Salad is one of my favorites.  My kids will also eat raw spinach where they are horrified by cooked spinach, so I'm a fan for that reason as well.  I usually let them dump a ton of ranch dressing on top so we can all still have had "salad" with dinner, and I'm hoping that as they get older and more adventurous, they will move on more variety like my brother and I did (I remember that my mom would almost always put avocado in our salad, and my brother and I always picked it out, and my parents would happily eat ours.  And now, I loooove avocado!).  We love our homemade Roasted Red Pepper Dressing as well, and I think it's great even on other things besides salads - as a marinade for chicken, over pasta, and as a dip for chips or veggies.

For the main event, we're serving up our yummy Greek Orzo Pasta loaded with fresh veggies & chicken or mushrooms.  It's great hot or cold, and if you end up with leftovers, you'll love it as a light lunch salad.  We'll send along the feta & olives on the side - I love them both, so I would just throw them in, but I hear you, olive haters of the world.  I'm not with you, but I hear you.

Keep your dinner mojo moving along with our awesome GYTTW meals!  We've unstuffed the pepper with our delicious Wild Rice Stuffed Pepper Casserole.  It's a great one-dish dinner for an easy weeknight meal, and it can easily be dressed up with a green salad and fancy bread for company.  If you're not a sausage fan, it's great with roasted eggplant as well, not to mention healthy!  The small size will feed 2-3 people, while the large is better for 4-6, depending on how much y'all all eat.

A big DOTP favorite meal - the Chicken Enchiladas with Mole sauce - are back for a limited engagement!  Mole sauce is one of those dishes that can be made in a million different ways, and everyone who makes it probably thinks his is the most authentic.  It's a strong, complex red sauce, and even though it's made with chocolate, it's not at all sweet.  It's just awesome.  The regular size will feed 3-5, and the large 4-6, again, depending on how hungry everybody is.

Here are a few little goodies you might want to add on this week!

Optional Extras:
Extra Porch Pockets with sauce ($10)
Classic Hummus & Baby Carrots ($6)
Mimi's Queso & Chips ($6)
Fresh Veggie Bag ($6)
Cilantro Jalapeno Ranch Dressing ($4)
Extra Roasted Red Pepper Dressing ($4)
Salad Pack:  Organic Romaine, Veggies, Jalapeno Ranch & Croutons ($10)
Vantastic Pimento Cheese ($5)

Camino Bakery Goodies:
Granola ($4)
Pumpkin Bread ($5)
Cinnamon Raisin Bread ($6)

That's what we've got to eat - hope you'll find something you like!

See you on the Porch,

Claire & Alex

Here are just a few things to keep in mind:
  • Email your order to dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com and be specific!!!  
  • The olives are on the side, so if you don't like them, no worries!  
  • You will receive your confirmation & reminder on Wednesday night - call me asap on Thursday morning if you do not receive that email because it means we do not have you on our list!
  • If you want the "We love leftovers" larger size meal, please specify that in your email - it's $45.  
  • Dinners will be delivered or be available for pick up at Sociale Gourmet on Thursday afternoons between 2-6 pm.
  • If you are new, please send your address so we let you know if you are a pick-up or a delivery person.  
  • If you have any food allergies, please let us know!
  • You are welcome to request anything you'd like (no cheese, no onions, etc), and we'll let you know if we can do it!
  • For any other questions, check out the Order 411 page or email me at dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com