The Cure for the Homesick Blues

I've been feeling a little melancholy this last week as the kids have gone back to school and I've been getting used to the daily carpools and hurried breakfasts once again.  I can't say that we weren't starting to need a little structure to our days, but it crushes me a little that another busy school year is beginning, meaning that my kids are a year older (and, of course, so am I).  I'm also always a little (ok, very much) overwhelmed by the feeling that I am am not up to the organizational task required to raise three children these days.  As I write this, I have four calendar/organizers within my eyesight (each purchased in the hope of finding the elusive "perfect system" for keeping track of everyone and everything).  The things is, I'm not a naturally organized person, so I always suspect that my sloppy ways are going to come to light when I completely fail to show up at some important meeting or forget to pick Ruby up from gymnastics or some other such epic fail.  I might have to surrender my 2012 Certificate of Awesome Parenting that I was recently awarded.  What?  You didn't get one?  Well, maybe you should try a little harder next year.  Calendars really help.

Anyway, so that's a little stressful.  Additionally, I'm also a little sad, triste, blue, etc, that we didn't go to Texas at all this summer.  We had so much fun on all of our far-flung adventures, and I was not sad at all to skip the 18 hour drive down there.  But I still just miss touching base down there, so I think I'm a little homesick.  Hence, a Texas menu to cure my blues and share a little of the happiness with all of you!

Thursday, September 6th:
Main Meal:
Smoked Chicken Chipotle Tostadas
with refried beans, shredded cheddar, sour cream, shredded lettuce & salsa
Homesick Texas Cilantro Slaw
Vegetarian Option:  Zucchini & Mushroom Tostadas
Kids' Option:  Cheese & Bean Quesadilla ($6)
Dessert:  Alex's Fresh Blueberry Crumble ($10)
GYTTW #1:  Southwestern Chicken and Sweet Corn Pie ($25, vegetarian version with local yellow squash - delicious!)
GYTTW #2:  New Orleans Andouille & Chicken Gumbo and Rice ($25, vegetarian version with black-eyed peas & kale)

Optional Extras:
Mimi's Queso & Chips ($6)
Classic Hummus & Baby Carrots ($6)
Fresh Veggie Bag ($6)
Cilantro Jalapeno Ranch Dressing ($4)
Salad Pack:  Organic Romaine, Veggies, Jalapeno Ranch & Croutons ($10)
Vantastic Pimento Cheese ($5)

Camino Bakery Goodies:
Granola ($4)
Pumpkin Bread ($5)
Cinnamon Raisin Bread ($6)
French Baguette ($2)


We love, love, love tostadas!  Normally, we serve slow-cooked pork tostadas, but we've switched it up a bit this week for a version that's just as tasty (you be the judge!).  Your family will have fun piling up tostadas with beans, meat, cheese, salsa & sour cream, or you can switch it up and start with shredded lettuce for a healthy & delicious salad dinner!  Any dinner leftovers can be turned into burritos for an easy & tasty lunch the next day - bonus!

Tostadas are awesome topped with slaw, and our version - the Homesick Cilantro - is a variation of a recipe created by Lisa Fain, the Homesick Texan.  I've become an avid follower her The Homesick Texan blog, so much so that I had to rush out and buy her cookbook to get ahold of this recipe as it was not featured on her blog.  We've of course modified it a little bit, but I feel confidant that you'll love it as much as I do!

Alex worked out our amazing dessert recipe this week - the Blueberry Crumble, and it's a great one for family dinner or weekend entertaining.  So much healthier and tastier than a pie, it's just fresh blueberries with a delicious, buttery crumble topping that you will bake at home.  Your house will smell awesome and your family and friends will think you are an excellent baker - win, win!

Our GYTTW #1 meal, the Southwestern Chicken and Sweet Corn Pie is a marriage of the traditional and the nuevo.  It's lighter than your traditional chicken pie, with only a top crust, and it's very full of white meat chicken, sweet corn, black beans, cheese, peppers & light sauce.  With a green salad and some of your favorite salsa, you'll be happy as can be!  

GYTTW #2, our New Orleans Andouille Sausage & Chicken Gumbo is an all-time favorite in our house.  We like it with lots of Tabasco sauce, but you can spice it up any way you like.  It's loaded with chicken, andouille sausage (the best flavor in the world!), okra, peppers and so many good spices.  All you need to serve with this awesome dinner is cold beer (or, for the little people, milk!).  

Our Optional Extras & Camino Goodies are all items that our customers love and that we think can make your meal planning easier.  Pumpkin bread is a great breakfast treat or afterschool snack, Queso makes any meal an awesome one, and our Salad Pack is just a good staple to have for dinner or lunch anytime.  Keeping these little things on hand will just make your life easier, period.

I think that's all we have this week, y'all.  We're a little rusty getting back into the swing of things after our lazy summer, so just email us at dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com if you have any questions.  Don't forget that we'll offer a pick-up for quick dinners on Tuesday night, but delivery is switched to Thursday.  If you are new, check out the Order 411, Welcome, or FAQ pages (did I mention that I can tend to repeat myself?  Probably an editor might suggest only having one page for this type of information ...).

We're looking forward to seeing you on the porch!

Claire & Alex