The Great Greek!

Tuesday, September 10th:  OPA!
Lemon Tahini Hummus & Pita Bread
Chopped Cucumber & Tomato Salad with Fresh Dill & Feta
Rosemary Red Pepper Greek Orzo Pasta with Chicken & Vegetables
Vegetarian Option:  Greek Orzo Pasta with Portobello Mushrooms
Kids' Option:  Greek Orzo Pasta with Marinara & Mozzarella ($6)
Dessert:  Camino Bakery Lemon Bars ($6)
Option Extra:  Greek Porch Pockets with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce ($10)

GYTTW Meals:
Rio Grande Chicken Enchiladas Verdes ($25)
Rio Grande Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas Verdes ($25)
Thai Green Curry with Shrimp & Basmati Rice ($25)
Asian Noodle Salad Dinner with 1/2 BLL Rotisserie Chicken ($25)
Make Your Own Pizza Pack ($25)

Grocery Goodies:
Fresh Salad Pack with Homemade Cilantro Jalapeno Ranch ($10)
Fresh Fruit Quart with skewers ($6)
Vantastic Pimento Cheese - mild or spicy ($5)
Camino Bakery Pumpkin Bread ($5)
Camino Bakery Multigrain Sandwich Bread ($5)
Be Nice Bagel Company Sesame Seed Bagels (6 for $12)

So, I realize that my constant discussion of the awesome Mexican food in Houston, where I grew up, may have led you all to believe that we were just eating Mexican all the time.  And, in truth, Mexican food is probably my favorite cuisine (I know, big surprise!).  But the fact is, Houston has an incredible diversity of ethnic restaurants, partly because it's a giant city with millions of people & lots of immigrants.  However, it's also because there is no city zoning there (quick civics lesson here), which means that anyone can just start up a business or restaurant or strip club wherever he or she happens to live, and nobody can do anything about it.  There are upsides and downsides to this model (okay, a few upsides, but mostly downsides).  For example, when my brother and his wife moved back to Houston a few years ago and bought a cute little bungalow in a fun part of town, they soon realized - to their dismay - that their backyard neighbor was operating a French restaurant out of their house, and the subsequent garbage it was generating had encouraged a strong rat population.  A big upside, in my opinion, that I would argue outweighs the occasional rat infestation, is that immigrants can bring their food and culture to the city without having to have a ton of money to get started.  And once people get a taste of fiery hot authentic Vietnamese food made by someone who grew up there, there's no going back.  Food-wise, it's a big win.

The point of this (I know, you've been to Houston on business and didn't enjoy it), is that I think it's so important to expose ourselves to other cultures, and food is such a wonderful way to do that.  My family has probably not missed the enormous and amazing Greek Festival in Houston ever, (my mom still takes my dad there every year, even in a wheelchair these days, because he cannot bear to miss out on fresh baklava, dolmas & souvlaki, no matter the effort involved to get it).  Consequently, I love Greek food (what's not to love), and was so happy to discover upon moving here that there are so many great places to get it.  Now with my own kids, the Greek Festival is a must every year, and they love it all.

While we at Dinners on the Porch are not Greek, and would hands-down lose any cooking contest with any Greek grandmother in town, we do like to make & eat it often, and we like to share it with all of you too!  In many a previous blog post, I have discussed my addiction to hummus, and it's still an issue for me, so I'd like to get you guys all addicted too so we can all be in it together!  This zesty fresh Lemon Tahini version is perfect for these cool warm days we've been having (this weather is what we wait all year for, right!!) - it's a great way to start off dinner, especially on the porch!

Follow up your hummus cocktail hour with a hearty and healthy dinner of Chopped Tomato & Cucumber Salad and Rosemary Red Pepper Greek Orzo with chicken & veggies, maybe a glass of nice white wine, and you'll be sitting pretty.  And I really am not making any promises (you know I never do that!), but I almost promise that your kids will like - or at the very least try - this dinner.  I don't say that about everything, but I have had so many customers over the years say how amazed they were that their kids ate this Orzo & even asked for it in their lunches!  I have no idea why, except that it's just a darn good meal and you've obviously got smart kids.

Okay, y'all have been persistent in your requests for Porch Pockets, and we have heard you!  We will make as many as you want, so stock up now - they can be frozen for future lunches, snacks, entertaining, etc.  If you haven't had them before, they are for sure worth a try!

This week's Lemon Bar dessert is probably my favorite thing that Camino Bakery makes.  It's hard to settle on a favorite, actually, but the fresh lemon flavor and crumbly crust are a very happy marriage indeed!

Ok, I'm not even going to keep going on about all of this week's GYTTW meals and Grocery items, because it's like 11:15 at night and I'm already in bed, in my pjs, and this computer is starting to make my legs too hot.  I will never be able to sleep if I get all overheated, and I think I've said the important things here.  You know you love our Rio Grande Enchiladas - I'm pretty sure there would be no DOTP without those little babies.  And Thai Green Curry Shrimp?  Amazing & addictive.  Asian Noodle Salad - the perfect lunch or dinner, plus BLL Rotisserie chicken?  The hits just keep on coming!

As I always suggest, if you round out your DOTP order with pizza packs, fruit, salads, bagels, breads & spreads, you will find yourself armed for a whole week of feeding hungry people - and yourself! - without so many trips to the grocery store.  I'm not just saying this to sell you food people, I'm telling you because it's the truth, and I know it because I can't feed my own family when I don't have DOTP stuff in my house!

Okay, now I'm completely too hot to sleep normally and am going to have to leave one leg out.  But all in the name of feeding you great bunch of people, so it's totally worth it.  Think nothing of my suffering.

Let us know what you'd like this week - we're looking forward to seeing you the Porch on Tuesday!!

Claire

Helpful Hints:
  • Ordering How To
  • Please order by email to dinnersontheporchorders@gmail.com
  • Place your order as soon as possible to ensure you get what you want - some supplies are limited.
  • Orders received after 8 am Monday are not likely be able to be made, but you are welcome to email.
  • There is a $35 delivery minimum.  If your total is less than $35, you can pick up or just ask to have delivery and pay the difference (if your total is $32, for example, you'd be paying $3 extra for delivery)
  • Special Requests
  • Please let us know if you have food allergies!!
  • The following special requests are easy & not a problem, so just indicate that in your email.
    • Half Veg, Half Chicken
    • Gluten-Free Meal
    • Not Spicy
  • Other Special Requests - such as not wanting a particular ingredient in your meal or wanting extras of something, may be fine, so just let us know & we will get back to you if we can/can't do it.
  • Delivery & Payment
  • Your meal will be delivered to you on Tuesday between 2 and 5:30 pm, and we very much appreciate you leaving a large cooler in an obvious place with some type of ice pack inside, regardless of whether you think you will be home.  Very often, people run out, and then it's at that very moment that the driver stops by - Murphy's Law!!
  • If you are unsure whether you are in the delivery area, email with your address to find out.  If you are not in the delivery area, you are welcome to order and pick up your meal at the Sociale Gourmet kitchen on Tuesday between 2-6 pm.
  • Payment can be made by leaving an envelope with cash or check in your cooler, or, if you prefer to pay online, do not leave out payment and we will send you an electronic invoice later in the week.
  • Communication
  • If you order, you will receive an email on Monday night reminding you to leave out your cooler, etc.  If you do not get that email, please call me first thing Tuesday morning to make sure nothing fell into cyber-space on either end of the order process - it happens every now and then.
  • Call or text us at (336)745-8300 with questions!